Tuesday, June 9, 2009

In Praise of Pastors

By Jeffrey Arthurs
Professor of Preaching & Communication and Dean of the Chapel

I value pastors. You should too. And if you are a pastor, please feel valued and receive my encouragement: You folks are the soldiers on the front line, and we professors are the support troops who live in an ivory tower (interesting mixed metaphor); you are the practitioners, while we generate theory; you are the communicators, disciplers, evangelists, and leaders, and we are your assistants. I consider your work more important than mine. By this I do not mean to denigrate my work or fly my Eyore flag; but I do think that you are the Church’s heroes. I’ve been on both sides of the fence as a pastor and professor, and what you do is harder than what I do. I admire you. Please stay true to the Lord so that you embody the life-changing and heart-wooing power of the gospel. And let us know how we can help. You might have to shout loud up the battlements of the Ivory Tower, but we’re here and many of us are listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment